Devised Theatre is a process in which the whole creative team develops the show collaboratively.
HOW TO APPLY
Companies should adhere to the 2023-2024 Devising Health & Safety Protocols & Guidelines.
Submissions will have a 15-minute time limit.
- Set up and strike can be part of the performance
- Contributions of the ensemble are to be balanced and evenly distributed.
- Not every member of the ensemble must perform, but the majority should.
- Faculty advisors may provide outside-eye feedback, but students should drive the work
- (No live flame, no smoking, and no functional weapons)
- Each showing will be given a short response from regional faculty and/or devising guest artists. Each deviser will be expected to speak articulately about their work, displaying rigor of process and responsibility for form and content.
- Devising isn’t an aesthetic; it’s a process. This approach to creating new work includes multiple aesthetics, production value spectrums, and performance styles.
- Registration will begin on October 1, 2023. To participate students will follow the online registration form found on the Region III website.
- Deadline for submission – December 14th
- Schools may enter multiple groups for the devising project.
TITLE: To See and Be Seen
Ensemblewill select their sources of inspiration as their creative container (examples: a photograph, a poem, a fictional or non-fictional short story, a memory, interviews, a question, etc.). Ensemblewill be asked to clearly articulate how their sources informed process and product, form and content.
- Each ensemble will create a unique performance vocabulary informed by their source materials. This vocabulary should include movement, voice, visual image, sonic landscape, text and scenic environment and communicate the piece’s style and aesthetic.
- Ensemble should consider time restraints. These parameters are designed to form a creative container to spark your imaginations and deepen your exploration.
Devised Theatre Coordinator
Ball State University
Associate Professor of Acting and Movement
Department of Theatre and Dance
Arts and Communications, Room AC 306
Muncie, IN 47306